|Are You Paying Attention?
for the week of August 28, 2000
by Rubel Shelly
Who was it who said, "If life isn't teaching you anything, you're just not paying attention"? Hey, even if no one famous said it, it's still true!
And I have absolutely no clue who wrote a piece that came to me via the Internet a couple of weeks ago. It lists some of the things its author has learned just from the process of living. I've edited here and there — and added a few things that have come to my own attention as well.
* I've learned that the best classroom in the world is simply to sit at the feet of an elderly man or woman and listen.
* I've learned that to ignore the facts does not change them.
* I've learned that I can always pray for someone, even when I don't have the strength or resources to do anything else for him.
* I've learned that when you harbor bitterness, happiness docks elsewhere.
* I've learned that when you hold a grudge against someone for a real or imagined offense, you are only letting that person continue to hurt you.
* I've learned that I can forgive, even when my enemy isn't asking for pardon.
* I've learned that the Lord didn't do everything in one day, so it must be all right for me to accept that I can't either.
* I've learned that I often can't choose how I feel, but I can always choose what I do about my feelings.
* I've learned that life is tough but that God's strength is sufficient.
* I've learned that no matter how serious your life requires you to be, everyone needs a friend with whom to kick back and act goofy.
* I've learned that love, not time, heals all wounds.
* I've learned that money can't buy class or happiness or peace.
* I've learned that when you're in love, you can't hide it — even if you try.
* I've learned that a smile is the easiest and least expensive way to improve your looks.
* I've learned that just one person saying "You've made my day!" makes my day.
* I've learned that loving is more fundamental to happiness than being loved.
So what has life been teaching you lately? If nothing comes to mind, maybe it's because you're just not paying attention.
provided, designed & powered by|